Volunteer & Event Coordinator
Arts on the Ave Edmonton Society (AOTA) is a grassroots, charitable organization that believes in fostering renewal and artistic fellowship through arts celebrations, signature arts festivals and traditions. Our home base is the volunteer-driven Carrot Community Arts Coffeehouse where we program and develop workshops, special events, art exhibitions, public art projects, and two annual arts festivals: Kaleido Family Arts Festival and Deep Freeze Byzantine Winter Festival.
Arts on the Ave has an immediate opening for a Volunteer Coordinator. This position will coordinate volunteers for The Carrot Community Arts Coffeehouse (9351 – 118 Ave), as well as for AOTA’s two annual arts festivals.
The Volunteer & Event Coordinator is a part-time position (.6), with additional hours required during planning and execution of events and festivals. Evenings and weekends are required.
The Volunteer & Event Coordinator will report to the Arts on the Ave Executive Director and The Carrot Community Arts Coffeehouse Operations Manager, and will report to the Festival Director and Producer regarding volunteer coordination for the two festivals.
Responsibilities Include: (full job description will be discussed at interview)
The Carrot Community Arts Coffeehouse:
- Recruit & train new volunteers with The Carrot’s procedures
- Maintain the volunteer roster and schedule, ensuring gaps are cared for
- Send out the weekly updates on schedule needs via email
- Keep record of individual volunteer hours and attendance
- Plan quarterly volunteer appreciation events
- As part of a team of staff, help organize small to mid-sized events presented by Arts on the Ave
- The Carrot Gallery administration and execution
- Develop arts programming at The Carrot
- Use social media and website to promote events at The Carrot
- Be present in the coffeehouse and develop relationships with patrons
- Assist in rental bookings of The Carrot
- Attend monthly Carrot Committee meetings; prepare a brief monthly report
- Attend weekly team meetings at The Carrot
- Other duties as required
Arts on the Ave Festivals:
- Development and recruitment of suitable volunteers
- Update volunteer recruitment forms and online tools
- Creating and building relationships with community organizations to grow our volunteer base
- Work closely with production team members to assign volunteer shifts
- Scheduling volunteers through a database system
- Creating and executing volunteer training
- Set up, management, and strike of the Volunteer Centre and Volunteer Check-In during festivals
- Creation and execution of a volunteer survey
- Maintain effective communication with all volunteers via email, phone, mailchimp and social networking sites
- Preparation and delivery of a final Festival Volunteer report
- Attend regular festival planning meetings
- Administrative, office and other job duties as required
Qualities and Skills:
- Strong work ethic, personal warmth, highly motivated with a positive team attitude
- High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility, and adaptability to “get things done in a sensible way”
- Great time management skills with the ability to work effectively in an unsupervised and autonomous environment
- Ability to work on several projects concurrently
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Highly flexible, with the ability to adapt and to quickly learn new software and systems
- Computer literacy, including strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Dropbox and Google Docs
- Must be available to work weeknights and weekends
- Must be able to work in a busy environment with distractions
This is a (.6) part-time position with annual compensation of $23,000-25,000.
Please apply online by October 11, 2016.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please visit artsontheave.org and thecarrot.ca to learn more about our organization.